Lentil and Vegetable Soup2018-11-12
This low calorie soup is rich in iron and folate and has an excellent source of protein. I used green lentils (small), however if you prefer brown, yellow, red or black -then you can add those instead. I cooked my soup for hours to make sure the lentils were super tender and they soaked up lots of the vegetable or chicken stock (choose your own stock). I especially love lentil soup in the winter time because it’s hearty and help keep you from feeling hungry.
- 1 cup whole small green lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups of low sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
How to make it:
- In a large stock pot add vegetable oil and turn burner to medium heat.
- Add onions, and cook until slightly translucent. Add celery, garlic and carrots. Sauté and stir constantly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the dry white wine & let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour broth over the vegetables and add the tomato paste and lentils. Cook for 45 minutes and turn burner to medium-low heat. Add the red peppers and continue cooking on low heat for another 15-20 minutes. Make sure lentils are tender before removing them from the stove.
- Salt to taste and serve simple or add toppings of your choice. -Serves 4 people.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe